Thursday, August 7, 2014

Does Anyone Really Have Baggage?

What is baggage? We all say we have it, but what exactly is it? We even use having too much baggage as a reason not to go after something that we really want to go after. But what exactly is baggage? And does it really exist? Think of all the things that you have classified as being you "baggage". Write it all down if you have to. Now think of all the things that believing you have too much baggage has stopped you from doing.

Now, I want you to scratch all that. What I mean is I want you to ditch the idea that what you have written down is baggage. Instead, adopt the belief that nobody has baggage. Turn it over and over in your head until you really, personally believe it.

Nobody has baggage.

You see, believing that you have too much baggage takes away your power. It leaves you as a victim of a belief that you have been told over and over your entire life. It's not your fault that this belief has been drilled into you. It's not anyone's fault as we have all believed this at some point. Placing blame and point the finger gets us nowhere awfully fast. It simply encourages further hurt and more "baggage" to the other person. 

I believe that assuming that anyone carries baggage, even yourself, is a destructive thought pattern. Think about it, when someone says, "I have too much baggage." What do you think of? Baggage is a loaded word that really encourages us to be smaller than what we are. It can even prevent us from doing what we want to do or even need to do. 

So what could you replace baggage with? I like to believe that instead of thinking "I have baggage" to think "I have experience".  I don't know about you, but I have never heard someone say, "I have too much experience."  See, experience gives us power whereas baggage took power away from us. We can learn from our experience but not from our "baggage". Baggage further implies that nobody would want to be with you. This isn't true. There are thousands of men and women who would want nothing more than to be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment