Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Special Bond Between Sisters



For many woman an important feminine influence in her life is her mother. However, I would argue that a woman's sister could potentially be more influential than any other woman in her life. I know for my sister and I that this has become the case. In fact, some people may even say that we are best friends.  However, a sisterly bond is very much different from any other bond or connection if you will, that she will ever have. A sister can fulfill needs that no other woman will ever be able to. 

While my sister and I have our own friends, we really love our time spent together. We may not share every important detail of our lives together right away. Our sisterly bond has become an important sense of connection for us both. In fact, I remember one time her and I were talking (I can't remember the entire conversation) and she said, "You know, you were basically my mom." To her, I had taught her much of what she knows about being a woman. You see, for my sister and I, we share many moments. We share the upsetting moments, the silly and weird moments, and many more. Naturally, we do still have our disagreements (I hate the word arguments because it seems to imply that there must be personal attacks, screaming, belittling and an overall need to be right instead of aiming for understanding). 


I believe that the bond shared with sisters can be one of the strongest bonds that two women ever share. As a sister myself I know that there can be that urge to be both the best friend and in some ways a motherly figure.  


As for my sister and I time has proven to hand us many ups and downs through out our relationships. We have had periods in which we loved to play with one another and to spend time together, and we have experienced periods where we generally didn't want much to do with each other. It can be a very frustrating relationship as times. In part because we are so similar and so vastly different at the same time.  However, it is exactly these ups and downs that have brought us closer together. 

As any sister can tell you, there are often arguments and/or disagreements within the relationship. Part of what is so beautiful about the bond between two sisters is that sisters love one another despite their flaws. A sister is often the first social connection that a little girl will ever experience. However, like any relationship, the bond between two sisters requires attention and nurturing. A strong relationship doesn't just happen

Do you have any special bonds with a sister or a woman who is like a sister? I would love to hear your stories! Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment